Thursday, January 11, 2007

snow day

What you can't see in this picture is that the Princess Pup has just launched herself 2 feet in the air to catch a snowball thrown to her. She loves the snow. So do I - when I don't have to shovel it. And I didn't this morning.

When we first moved to Utopia, we were told that it only snows here about once every 10 years. In the five winters we've been here, we've had snow the last 3. This winter it has snowed twice. It never lasts very long, but it reminds me how beautiful snow can be.

I'm especially fond of snow on trees. This is a view up from my back deck.For those of you on the east coast, where I hear the cherry trees are blossoming in NYC. Here's an explanation of how we can have a snowier winter simultaneously with you having a warm winter, and what might be behind it all: Is Mild Winter a Sign of Climate Change?

4 comments:

Addy N. said...

That's a great NPR interview! I had my 100-level students listen to it and we talked about it in class yesterday! I like how he explained the heavy snow in CO as a sign of warming- people always use that as a reason to say there is no global warming.

Shrilatha Puthi said...

nice pics...n glad that pricess pup is alright now..

brother said...

There's no snow what-so-ever in your childhood hometown. Besides the climate change aspect, having no snow is fantastic. Only people that don't have to shovel, plow, or snowblow seem to appreciate snow. The rest of us appreciate the beauty of not having to get up an hour earlier and freeze our asses off.

JF, scientist said...

The quince bushes in my East Coast town are currently blooming. I hear it's supposed to get down to 10 F next week, though. This is not going to be good in the spring.

The pup looks very happy about it!