Monday, January 08, 2007

Random bullets of late pregnancy

  • I'm still here, just not managing to compose a decent blog post.
  • I'm now past 37 weeks, so whenever Mini makes her big debut, she will be considered full-term.
  • I'm now too big to comfortably watch dishes (belly gets in the way), do downward dogs, carry laundry baskets, or any number of other things that I used to take for granted.
  • I was looking at a picture of me from a couple of years ago, and I thought "my god, I was skinny." Then I realized that I simply wasn't pregnant when the photo was taken.
  • This weekend we got a lot of stuff ready for baby. We finally bought and assembled a crib - which we have decided to use as a changing table while baby is in the co-sleeper. We ordered a mattress that should arrive by next week. We went to Target, spent a $50 gift card and got a bunch of little stuff that we need right away (cotton balls, Lansinoh, random stuff).
  • The two things I still need to get before Mini appears are nursing bras (can't find a bravado that fits properly) and a diaper pail. And I can get both of those in town. I'll do those errands tomorrow. And I'm sure once we have the baby we will think of a whole lot more stuff we need, but that can wait for later.
  • I think the baby way have dropped. I can't see a difference, but I need to pee *all* the time and I'm finally waddling. In first time mothers, the baby can drop up to 4 weeks before labor, so it doesn't mean anything except that I am uncomfortable in different places.
  • At night lately, as I lay awake on my side contemplating whether another position would be more comfortable, I notice that my arms ache for something to hold. It's probably just that all my joints and tendons are loosened up, but it also feels psychological - like I am wanting a baby to hold in my arms.

Top 10 Things I am looking forward to about not being pregnant anymore:

10. being able to take a deep breath - though this seems to have improved with the baby dropping
9. getting clothing catalogs and not just recycling them
8. being able to go into REI and actually find something in the store that applies to my life. - My mom needed to go to REI this weekend, and I ended up just sitting in the car for 1.5 hours.
7. being able to sleep on my side without my ribs or hips hurting
6. caffeine without water retention, wine
5. sleeping on my back - I've been wishing for this one since about 12 weeks
4. being able to go more than an hour without a bathroom stop
3. not going through 10+ Tums every single day
2. not having people tell me "your life is going to be completely different." as if they were actually telling me something I didn't know
1. Having Mini!

5 comments:

gen(i)e said...

I love your "Top 10" list - it looks very much like mine would've looked like had I wrote one ;) And let me tell you, the breathing will get better almost instantaniously, and it will be wonderful (on top of everything else that's wonderful about being done with labor).

Sara said...

"I notice that my arms ache for something to hold."

I've never been pregnant, so I can't speak to exactly what you are going through. But I have a little camping pillow that is so perfect for holding in bed that I've renamed it my hugging pillow. It's comfortable having a little extra maneuverable support. You might try something like that?

Writer Chica said...

Your post reminds me of a couple of my posts from near the end of my pregnancy with Chicita. I've been there. And somehow I still don't know what to say.

sounds like you are all set for Mini to arrive. (Got the hospital bag ready?)

I have your announcements! I'll get them in the mail to you this week.

ScienceWoman said...

Writer Chica - Oh right, we also packed the hospital bag this weekend.

RJ said...

It's been great to read your blogs.

Good luck for labor, and Mini. Nothing ever happens quite as you expect (or so I'm told)