Thursday, January 04, 2007

2007: welcoming opportunity

Following the lead of my esteemed colleagues, I am adopting a theme for 2007, rather than setting resolutions. Resolutions seem so petty when there are themes to be seized. Plus, I feel like my life is pretty uncertain right now, and a theme seems much more comfortable than a hard-and-fast resolution.

My theme for 2007 is "welcoming opportunity."
  • I will welcome the opportunity to delight in the birth and babyhood of my child.
  • I will welcome the opportunity to redefine my relationship with my husband and my role in our household as we move from being a couple to being a family.
  • I will welcome the opportunity to explore other facets of myself that motherhood and a reduced workload allow me to discover.
  • I will welcome the opportunity to draw upon the strength and support of my friends and family and to give back to them as best I can.
  • I will welcome the opportunity to continue to do interesting research with people I really like.
  • I will welcome the opportunity to move on to a more permanent position or another post-doc.
  • I will welcome the opportunity to think about what a non-academic career might look like for me.

4 comments:

Sicilian said...

Science gal. . . . I think those are wonderful ideas. . . .and I look forward to hearing about them in your blog.
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Ciao

Propter Doc said...

Oh I like the idea of a theme. However, no year can have a theme without a theme song. So, science woman, what is your theme song for the year going to be? Your postcard is in the mail by the way! Happy New Year.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Welcoming opportunity ... that's really great. I love it!

trillwing said...

May the new year bring you all kind of wonderful opportunities!