Thursday, December 21, 2006

Solstice reflections



"As we enter this season we need to remember that darkness is essential; it contains the seed of light. It is not a time of perils, danger, or despair. It is a time of waiting, nesting, comfort, nourishment, and, ultimately, integration. It is a time for uncoiling rather than unraveling. Opening to the light symbolizes awareness, knowledge, and consciousness. It is what nature asks of us at this time of year. It is the season of samadhi. Stand still, if only for a moment, unfazed by the storms of life, and absorb it.”
- Julie Lawrence

I think I’ve written before about how the advent season seems like an apt metaphor for pregnancy. This quote too spoke to me on many levels and seemed appropriate to share with you on this, the shortest day of the year (in the northern Hemisphere).

I also wanted to acknowledge the winter scene above and the one that I am currently using as my banner have come from the digital slide file of Yellowstone National Park. The picture above was taken by Sam and Mary Cissel in February 1992, and my banner image was clipped from a picture taken by DL Coe in 1961. There are dozens of other gorgeous winter scenes in the files - I am sure you will find one that inspires you.

No comments: