Friday, December 29, 2006

Musical Incentive

Yesterday I sent the lingering paper off to its coauthors for one last look before it gets submitted. My hope is to get it submitted before Mini makes her debut (whenever that may be). So as a reward for my productivity, I am treating myself to music from iTunes. The last time I did this was when I submitted my dissertation to my committee, so I am thinking I can make a tradition out of it. For every paper submitted, I get an iTunes shopping spree.

Here's what I got:
  • Silver Springs - Fleetwood Mac
  • Little Lies - Fleetwood Mac
  • The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
  • Christmas Dinner - Peter, Paul, and Mary (I actually cheated and bought this on the 22nd)
  • No One Has to Cry - The Fixx
  • Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders
  • I'll stand by you - The pretenders
  • So & So - Kim Richardson
  • Nothing compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor (I wanted Streets of London, but iTunes didn't have it. Hate that!)
  • Beds are Burning - Midnight Oil
They are a small departure from my normal Lilith Fair-type and sixties folk choices, but they'd tickled my ear for the last couple of months on Pandora and wherever else I'd ran across them. Actually, "Edmund Fitzgerald" has special personal meaning for me, and I'd grown up with the sheet music on the piano; "Christmas Dinner" comes from the Peter, Paul, and Mommy album that I had as a kid, and "Beds are Burning" is the fault of my friend Erik, an inveterate music reviewer who reminded me that I liked Midnight Oil both when I was in high school and when I lived in Australia. But the rest are things that caught my ear in the past 6 months or so.

Anyways, my musical incentive prompts two questions:
  1. Why do I have a hard time spending $10 on iTunes when I can easily blow that in a week on hot drinks?
  2. What do you to do reward yourself for getting a paper submitted?

6 comments:

DancingFish said...

1. Good point. Never thought about it that way...
2. Drinks or non-guilt filled time off. Hopefully just enough to keep the momentum going though.
Congrats on submiting the paper!

Sicilian said...

It is a woman thing. . . . constantly making ourselves feel guilty for something or other. You can have your coffee and I tunes too!
Congrats on your paper submission. You have much to celebrate.
Ciao

Anonymous said...

Paper Rewards:
Draft to co-authors: bottle of wine
Submitted draft: bottle of wine
Back from review: stiff drink
Resubmitted: bottle of wine
(repeat last two as necessary)
Accepted: bottle of wine
In print: bottle of wine

Jane said...

I always feel guilty about spending money on iTunes, too. Which is silly, because I love music, but for some reason it seems decadent.

Anyway, when I submit a paper I reward myself with wine (well, not so much right now :) ) and time off (take the rest of the day or at least the evening off and do something fun). When a paper is accepted, I take myself and Mr. Jane out to dinner.

Congrats on getting the paper done!

Piffles said...

I honestly don't see why your conscience gives you a hard time when you spend money on music.

Personally, music is by far what I spend the most money on. A single music album gives you a lifetime of enjoyment. You discover news things about it everytime you listen to it; it accompanies you through different times in your life; it stirs memories and emotions; it stimulates your imagination.

Music is the best thing on the planet. Take pride in knowing how to appreciate it.

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.