Friday, December 15, 2006

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your fence down

We lost power for 3 hours last night - other parts of town lost power for at least 11 hours. I learned that a big disadvantage of electric stoves is that if your power goes out as you are cooking dinner, you can't do much. But we did build a fire for some warmth and light and took an early evening nap as we listened to the wind howl and rain pound.

At some point during the evening, the wind blew part of our fence down allowing the Princess Pup access to the neighborhood this morning. I'm not sure how we are going to repair the fence any time soon - it looks like the ground was completely saturated and the posts just ripped out of the ground. On my drive this morning, I noticed several trees and branches blocking roads and stoplights without power. I'm at work now and can't check my email because the servers are still down.

And the damage isn't just local. From the news reports, it looks like ~300,000 people in Oregon and ~1 million people in Washington lost power. And thousands will be out of power for a couple of days. Apparently this was the third worst windstorm in the past 40 years. Pretty cool.

5 comments:

rageyone said...

wow. glad you all didn't come out of too bad. be careful.

Rose Connors said...

I was anticipating a power outage last night, sitting with oil lamps at the ready, but nothing crazy to report here. We must've just gotten the edge of it.

Sicilian said...

Wow. . . some amazing weather in your world. . . . s
Ciao

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are ok! Good luck w/ the job interview situation, I hope they can be more flexible!
B

Anonymous said...

P.S. I like your colors!