Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The day after...

So Christmas has come and gone...Normally it is one of my favorite holidays (the music, the candles, the spirit of giving...), but this year I had a really hard time getting into the spirit. I was just so tired and preoccupied. And fish has been preoccupied and exhausted from work. Plus, for the first time, we were neither traveling nor having visitors. We didn't even have any extra time off. So no lights or tree were put up, only one batch of Christmas cookies was made (and those on the 24th), only a handful of decorations were put up (on the 23rd), and the gift giving and getting was minimal and last-minute.

We did attempt to have two days of fun though. We took the Princess Pup on one of her favorite walks, baked cookies, played Uno, cooked a turkey and stuffing, opened presents, watched bad Christmas movies, and went to the movie theatre. So it should have made good memories.

But somehow I am left with a feeling of disappointment. Maybe it was the lack of buildup, or the lack of relatives, or the lack of post-Christmas vacation time, but somehow I'm left feeling like I lost a holiday and a weekend. And now it's the workweek again, there are things to be done, and the house is a mess (I opted to forgo the usual weekend nagging and cleaning).

On the plus side, I took the pup to the vet today and the vet gave her basically a clean bill of health. The vet trip was triggered by a Meibomian gland tumor, but as long as it's not bothering her eye, it's fine. And most of them resolve on their own. I asked the vet how long I might expect a dog her size to live (she's 8), and he said she should probably live to 15 or 16, as long as we keep her weight under control. And that means that Mini will grow to know (and long remember) the Princess Pup, so that makes me happy. I remember my mom's graduate school dog, so I think it's pretty cool that Mini will remember mine.

Hope your Christmases were more memorable (and in a good way) than mine.

3 comments:

ElwoodCity said...

I have the first comment; I may be the first one back to work. Either that, or that is a hard post to comment on without saying something trite. I'm sorry that you didn't have the Christmas that you wanted. I remember holidays like that, where you finish it and wonder what the whole point of it was. When Riley was pregnant with The Maestro, it was like that for us, not just Christmas, but Thanksgiving, and PumpkinFest too.

At least it stopped raining, right?

ScienceWoman said...

Elwoodcity - Thanks for your comment. It's helpful to know that other people have been in the same position. And yes it's stopped raining for today (yesterday it poured), but I like the rain. I like to see what changes it wreaks on the landscape.

I'll post something happier today.

Amelie said...

I'm sorry to hear your christmas was not as you hoped it would be. Mine was as good as it could have been given the situation here, and I'm thankful for that. Wishing you a healthy Princess Pup, and a beaming child for next year's christmas!
BTW, thanks for linking to my new site.