Thursday, November 09, 2006

Pregnancy update

(I'm going to respond to propter doc's question about what an ideal post-doc looks like, but right now my brain is in a different dimension).


Here's my belly this week, the first week of my third trimester. I feel pretty big except when I am around women closer to their due dates. Then I just feel small.

I am really enjoying being pregnant. Sure, there are uncomfortable (even painful) parts, but feeling Mini kicking inside me is the most miraculous thing I have experienced. It's amazing to think that 7 months ago there was nothing, and now there is another life inside me, just growing and getting ready to come out and join the world. I noticed the other day that the Advent season is less than a month away. I feel like I am already experiencing Advent - the season of anticipation of something wonderful. The season of getting ready for a birth that's going to change everything.

We are in our second week of childbirth classes (6 weeks total), and the class is huge (20 couples). I feel like the instructor is really rushing through things, but that I am not learning much that I hadn't already read about. However, I think there are a bunch of new things for fish, which I guess is most of the point of these classes anyway. Plus, it's actually good to practice the breathing patterns , not just read about them. I'm really leaning towards a natural (non-medicated) child-birth, and I'd actually like to have a doula (a trained labor support person). Well, I'd love for Writer Chica to be there as my second support person, but that's a bit impractical.

We also picked out a pediatrician this week, and he seems like a really nice guy. Easy going, almost Midwestern, but informed and competent. We are also now able to bring Mini home from the hospital - because my dad got us an infant carseat. It's kind of funny because carseat technology has changed a lot since they had babies and they weren't sure what the detachable base was all about, but I promised them a demo when they come out to visit next spring. Invitations went out for my baby shower (the first weekend in December) and as I got a guest list ready I thought about all my wonderful blog-friends who I'd really love to be there. But most of you live too far away, and I think it'd be a little weird to invite the 2 that I know live in the same state because I've never met either of you in person. But I am hoping you will all be with me in spirit.

I'm also ready to begin working on Mini's quilt. Because I've finally finished the quilt for gen(i)e's little one (below). It's the first quilt I've made without any help at all, and I've been intermittently working on it the whole time I've been pregnant. I finished it Tuesday night, but I am actually finding it hard to part with, so it won't go into the mail until tomorrow. I know I'll feel better as soon as Mini's quilt gets started. Plus, I've decided to make blackout curtains for the nursery, so I've got to get sewing.

14 comments:

EthidiumBromide said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well for you. I look forward to having my own children someday (in the very distant future). Also, the quilt is beautiful! I crochet and knit and have wanted to get into quilting for a while now, but just don't seem to have any spare time. I bet it will be very exciting working on a quilt for your very own Mini!

trillwing said...

I remember this time in my pregnancy fondly. It was around week 34 that I decided I had had enough of the weight gain and stretched skin and round ligament pain, so watch out for that. :)

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well, and I'm excited for you.

My only advice: Sleep now, 'cause if you get one like Lucas, you won't be sleeping on a regular schedule again for more than a year. :P

Propter Doc said...

The quilt is very beautiful, as is the way you already speak of Mini, thanks for sharing this on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt!

I've been reading your pregnancy updates with great interest for a while now. Thanks for sharing your experiences---they have been very helpful and informative---and I look forward to hearing about early parenthood as you go through that stage, too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! Wow, third trimester, exciting days! The belly looks great.

AAYOR said...

We had a doula and she was awesome. She was actually our childbirth class instructor. In the end (of a loooong road), I had a c-section, but she was amazing through it all and insightful as we made that decision. She also didn't charge us, which was ridiculous because doulas in that part of the country can make up to $1500 for a birth.

Doulas require a certain # of births to become "certified" but they go through all of the training in advance. One option that you might look into is someone working on certification... they often do it for no charge. (There may be rules about not charging, come to think of it. Not sure).

DRD said...

The quilt is beautiful! I am sure that you will make a wonderful one for Mini. (I made my niece/nephew twins matching quilts about a year ago and they were very hard to part with, so I understand!)

As for your shower, we will all be there in sprit, wishing you and your little family many blessings!

JF said...

I think that picture *is* what an ideal postdoc looks like! (The person, not the job, that is.)

B said...

The quilt is beautiful and you look amazing for the third trimester! Best wishes for the baby shower!

ceresina said...

I love the quilt; it's fantastic.
And you are so much smaller than I was, if that helps. ;-)

Writer Chica said...

I have so much to comment, but I gotta tend to kids right now. Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

The way you write about Mini and your pregnancy is wonderful, thanks for sharing. Sewing and quilting for the nursery sounds good for the "nestbautrieb" (the urge to prepare the "nest" for your little one). Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

I'm still so happy for you! It's just so exciting and wonderful and beautiful. I've been all moody lately, but I read this and got a little weepy. You're just going to be such a good mom. :)

Saoirse said...

I'm so excited for you. The quilt is lovely, as I am sure Mini's will be.