Saturday, July 15, 2006

Writer Chica's photos

I'm finally getting around to fulfilling (most of) Writer Chica's photo requests from last week's meme.

She asked for our grill. (With bonus Pup butt - she's probably going for the grease cup.)
I've got a great picture of our husbands leaning over the Chicas' old little tiny grill. From that same evening, there's a picture of me with a beer and wildly unkempt hair (I think we were in the process of moving). Good times have been had by the grill.

And she asked for our bookshelf. Well, here's the biggest one. I organize my shelves by subject (sort of), with knick-knacks and photo albums throughout. A quick tour: Top left: Reference books. Top R: Wedding photos. The framed picture is our engagement picture, turned sideways. Second L: Religion, anthologies, plus Nickel and Dimed apparently. Second R: Fiction I've been vaguely meaning to read. Third L: Recent aquisitions, feminist tomes. Third R: Science writing and such. Fourth L: Hiking and travel Guides. Fourth R: Series books (HP, Tolkien, Dark is Rising, mysteries). Fifth L: Science textbook(ish) and a binder full of recipes. Fifth R: Misc. Fiction. There's one more shelf at the bottom that's full of photo albums, magazines, and tall reference books. Plus we've got a 2nd shorter bookshelf in this room, plus the heaps by my bed. And lately, I've been giving away paperbacks when finishing them.

Finally for tonight's installment, I present my dinner. Chica asked for something yummy I made from my veggie box. Here's the pasta primavera that was one of the week's suggested recipes. It's got 2 zuchinis, 1 candy onion (or walla walla), ~5 carrots, 1 cl. garlic, ~1/4 # green beans, (supposed to have 3 tomatoes, but we were out), a bunch of fresh basil, olive oil, parmesean, and multi-grain pasta. The plastic container is because I am eating leftovers at my office (I'm a retail widow.)And now business man's shift is almost done, so I better finish the figure I am working on so that I can pack up and go home.

10 comments:

skookumchick said...

I love the Dark is Rising series! HP too, but that goes without saying. Your dinner looks similar to the one that we had tonight, except we had cavatappi pasta and yellow and orange peppers instead of beans.

This photo meme thing is way cool...

Dr. Shellie said...

The big question is, did all the vegetables in the recipe come with the box, or did it call for ones you didn't have? I am opposed on principle to buying extra (ok so actually opposed in practice, then I end up with a huge backlog).

Hmm... there seems to be a correlation between CSA subscription and women-in-science/academia blogging. Ianqui has a bunch of posts about CSA vegetables too.

Writer Chica said...

These are great! Thanks! That's one nifty grill you have. Are you preferring gas over charcoal? I would love to see the other grill pictures sometime. I was a little distracted by the stencils on the wall behind the bookshelf: rocket, plane, train, paws. Very cute.

Yummy, fresh veggies! Bummer about the tomatoes. They get a little funny in leftovers anyway.

ScienceWoman said...

Dr. Shellie - The only veggie I had to add was green beans (which I already had frozen). And I know what you mean about about not wanting to buy more veggies...

Writer Chica - We switched to gas because BusinessMan got tired of fighting with the fire without any extra testorone around to make it manly. Good eye noticing the stencils, the room came that way and we've grown to love it. Toddler would too - there are also yellow tugboats.

Craig C said...

Costco bookshelf? Looks like the solid oak one that I have.

Since you are now BoN, you might want to give a synopsis post for newbie readers.

The Sanity Inspector said...

Congratulations on landing the Blog Of Note spot at Blogger's front page. Blogs are always works in progress, so don't repeat yourself for my sake!

R2K said...

I love science women! : )

If you like, check out my new microscope blog.

chumly said...

My daughter just got her Masters in teaching. She has 3 children, teaches full time and I am very proud of her. Keep up the good work ladies.

Marg said...

Greetings from Australia from a retired science educator who is also privileged and fortunate to be a mother to two wonderful young daughters - one of whom has just finished her honours degree in environmental science.

Remember that you can have it all and have a wonderfully eventful life such as I have had so far - just forget having too much sleep!

Keep the flag flying and best wishes!

Beckad said...

Are you vegetarian? That's a vegetarian meal, which doesn't really mean much... Sorry, just wondering.