Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Veggie box

Fulfilling the last request from the photo meme, although this answer is minus a photo. I left the camera where I am teaching. Here's what came in my veggie box today:
  • Scallions
  • Red Onion
  • Walla Walla Onion
  • Shallots
  • Arugula
  • Lettuce
  • Cucumber
  • Italian Parsley
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes
  • Eggplant
  • Red Cabbage

  • Today's box was overflowing with deliciousness. If anyone has any suggestions for recipes using the ingredients above, please send them my way. So far we've got plans for the Eggplant and Walla Walla Onion.

5 comments:

Writer Chica said...

Well, obviously a good salad comes to mind. What is Italian parsley? I don't think I have had that. Happy eating!

dguzman said...

I think I'd probably dice up a little of everything, saute the whole lot, then add a couple of eggs and scramble it up. That's one of my favorite ways to enjoy my veggies. Of course, I'm a veggie but not a vegan. If you're vegan, then obviously this wouldn't work.

skookumchick said...

I love making arugula pesto, and you can make parsley pesto too (or combine them) and freeze extra pesto in ice-cube trays for the middle of winter... I don't know if it's hot where you are, but a cold cucumber-yogurt soup would hit the spot here...and coleslaw with the red cabbage, red onion, and carrots...

ScienceWoman said...

Ooohhh...cucumber yogurt soup sounds good (especially since I have 4 cukes). Skookumchick: Thanks for the suggestion on the arugual pesto - I've already got a bunch of cubes of them in my freezer and I'm looking forward to using them this winter.

Writer Chica: Salad - of course. Italian parsley - appear to have somewhat bigger flatter leaves than "normal" parsley. And our box comes with a news letter that lists what we are getting and suggests some recipes.

dguzman - vegetable stir fry with eggs. I like the idea.

Gina Grace said...

As a Dietitian, and as a native Washingtonian, I sincerely hope that you just ate the Walla Walla sweetlike an apple:) Those things are great.