Thursday, May 11, 2006

Research productivity = high; Blog productivity = low

Correlation or causation?

Sorry to disappoint any readers who have been checking back to see if I have anything more to say following those comment-inducing posts of earlier this week. I think your comments are great and I'm glad to hear of so many examples of guys who will indeed follow their scientific women.

Ceresina, I'm still thinking about your comment and trying to figure out exactly what you meant: "I don't quite understand your comment about "many women expect or hope to stay home or work part-time with young children." ... if you need a post topic, would you expand on that a little? I'm wondering why my experience is so different from yours." Are you questioning the validity of my statement or are you wondering why women might choose to work less than full-time? Or did you mean something else that I've missed? I think I could write a post about why women might want to work less than full-time but I'm not sure I have anything particularly novel to say on the subject.

If you are looking for some intellectual sustenance (and avoiding work), then check out inky circus's post about Susan Bustos who sounds to be a brilliant scientist, a knitter, and a zine editor. Miss Prism (love her blog title and pseudonym!) just published a great piece with suggestions for communicating science to the media. And, if you are in the mood for a little uplifting listening, one of my favorite bloggers, Janet Stemwedel, and the folks at ScienceBlogs have put together a podcast with her take on the "worst things a scientist can do."

As for me, I'm going back to work on this thing we call a PhD. Tomorrow I may be good for a meme or a photo, but I want to push hard into the weekend to get these damn reviewer comments done with for once and for all (until next time).

2 comments:

ceresina said...

Oh, gosh, no. I was absolutely not questioning the validity of your statement. I'm sorry that's what my choice of words implied. And I understand why some women choose to work less than full time.
I just was wondering why you said that some women "expect" to stay home. Do you mean they'd rather not, but they can't get the scheduling to work out so they don't have to? Although I guess Dean Dad's entry today kind of answered that question.
Again, I'm really sorry that I sounded like I was doubting you. I was just wondering what your experience was, so I could figure out how it was different from mine.

ScienceWoman said...

ceresina - I think by expect all I meant was that they perceive it as an essential part of motherhood. As you pointed out, sometimes things (scheduling, economics) may mean that things don't work out that way. I'll have to go read Dean Dad's entry. Thanks for clarifying! (and reading and commenting!)