Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Random bullets

  • I just had to put ~$1200 on my credit card to book travel for the interview next week.
  • I haven't written anything coherent in the past 2.5 days.
  • I've got to put together a teaching presentation and the parameters of it are so wide open as to be actually intimidating. Teaching anything -ology to any level. What sort of guideline is that?
  • I could really stand to talk to my advisor (both about the job stuff and, god forbid, about some science), but he's on vacation this week, then we'll overlap briefly and then I'll be gone. So it'll probably be almost 2 weeks before we get a chance to meet.
  • There's no way I can finish my PhD in 4 months. Who was I kidding?
  • Both of my interviews have no managed to schedule themselves right on top of my ovulation. My career is sabotaging any efforts to have children.
  • But at least I'm getting to go to REI with NewGirl this afternoon. My dividend has been burning a hole in my pocket and I think I'm going to get a pair of cute Keen sneakers and maybe a sports bra (no pic!). I don't actually need any more outdoors gear (at least until we move somewhere), plus the local REI store stupidly doesn't carry any whitewater gear (which I do love to covet).

2 comments:

mirabel said...

There's no way I can finish my PhD in 4 months. Who was I kidding?

Oh, do I feel that. My defense is scheduled for July 5th and at this point, it just seems like there is no way I will get it all done.

Hang in there!

PhD Mom said...

I think everyone slips a semester when planning the defense. It is hard to estimate the shear weight of writing a defense. It took me 3 months of 7 AM to 11 PM days, 7 days a week to finish mine. Admittedly, I am loquacious and it was a tome, but it still took a crushing amount of time. Don't worry about it, just keep your eye on the task and press on. You *will* finish.