Monday, March 27, 2006

quilt blogging

Here's the latest quilt I've been working on. This one was a joint effort between S and I for a grad student who works down the hall from us. She's due tomorrow and was in the office today sending off her first thesis chapter to her advisor. Last night there was a baby shower for all of her co-workers and we presented her with the quilt. One of the other women there said "I can't believe you made this...it's quilted and everything." Actually, it's not (it's just tied) but we didn't correct her. To me, this is the cutest baby quilt ever.

It was really fun to work on this project with someone else. We were able to put together the top in just one one evening. S sewed and I ironed and it went really fast. Plus, I learned a nifty technique for making triangles. I've also working on the quilt for Navy Mom but it won't be done before her baby arrives (she's scheduled for a ceasarean tomorrow). After that, I don't think I have any baby quilts to work on for a while. Maybe I'll make something for myself. A graduation present?

3 comments:

Prof. Me said...

Oooh, I'm so impressed! It is a gorgeous quilt, and such a thoughtful gift. Did you make the binding yourselves, too? That part has always confused me, despite the fact that my Mom has taken me through it step-by-step hundreds of times. (My Mom is an expert quilter -- I can barely sew a seam. Your teamwork method appeals to me, though, because, when it comes to craft projects, I can't stand it when they drag on for days. If only I had the same mentality about the dissertation...!)

ScienceWoman said...

Thanks for the compliment. We did do the binding ourselves. The basic trick is that you can only use the machine for one side, and the other you need to whip stich by hand. But I still have trouble at the corners. If only dissertations were as easy as baby quilts (or at least came with clear patterns and step-by-step instructions!)

Writer Chica said...

It's beautiful! I love the butterflies. I think you should definitely make one for yourself. Have a great week!