The Scenario: Job app sent in November, letters requested in December, letters due on January 1. It's now mid-February and I haven't heard anything. This is the one place I actually had dared to set my heart on. With my 1 interview in 3 weeks and the specific circumstances of that search, I expect to either get an offer or a rejection in the next 6 weeks. And I want to know whether I should hold out hope on this one.
The Question: Is it ever appropriate/acceptable to inquire about the status of the search process? If so, is now the time? If so, should I call/email the search chair or my friend on the faculty (but not the search committee)?
And in return for all of the helpful advice I am sure my more sage readers will give me, I offer this to those who will soon or someday follow my footsteps. The 100+ questions you should ask or will be asked when you get an interview.