Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Interview Prep parts 2 & 3

Blogger problems yesterday (double posts, inaccessibility) forestalled the latest installment of interview prep in 15 minutes a day.

Day 2: The graduate students. How many? What are the degrees offered? How are grad students supported? What do degree requirements look like?

Day 3: Laboratory facilities. What do they have? Who controls them? Is there something they need that I could ask for in my start-up package? What about facilities/gear for staging field research?

3 comments:

PhD Mom said...

You've probably already thought of this, but I also found it helpful to read or at least look up a couple of papers from each professor in the department, especially those in the area closest to yours. During the interview, you will meet with each professor for 30 minutes. They will want to know what kind of a person you are, can they get along with you, how can you help them in their research?

It is really nice to be able to say, Prof. X, I read your paper on Y and I think that my research on Z would really fit in nicely in this way.

Good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree; people always seem amazed when you do your homework, but why wouldn't you--these might be your future colleagues, right? Even if your research doesn't fit in, you can still come up with a question or an observation about their work. For my interviews this year, I actually made up a little cheatsheet, with a line or two of questions or a research summary for each of the faculty, and took a peek every time I got a bathroom break. This was especially useful on the second day, when I was super tired.
Also--breath mints!! Talking gives me, at least, terible breath.

sheepish said...

I made BIG use of cheat sheets when I was interviewing. Just a few possible questions, mutual interests, or conversation topics jotted down to show that I had done my homework but hadn't gone psycho with memorizing everything about everyone.