Tuesday, January 31, 2006

5 things meme

I was tagged by Statgirl for this one.

Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so.

1) Overread
2) BrightStar
3) Seeking Solace
4) Statgirl
5) ScienceWoman

Next select five people to tag (Sorry!):
1) Astroprof - He deserves it after tagging me on the last one.
2) Single Girl - She needs something to keep her occupied while she waits to find out where she matched.
3) Professor me - She needs a break from diss writing and planning her fabulous new professorship.
4) She Falters to Rise - She deserves a mindless task after the week she had last week.
5) Botanical Girl - Just what she needs - another cat to herd.

What were you doing 10 years ago?
And here is where I reveal my youth. Ten years ago I was a junior in high school. I was enjoying early rehearsals of the school musical (as Mrs. Squyres in Music Man), stage managing the one act play (David and Lisa) and playing in at least 2 orchestras. By the end of the February, a particularly nasty bit of ugliness with my father would have occurred and I would have gotten in my first car accident (backed into the parked car of a school board member!).

What were you doing 1 year ago?
Why is this question harder to answer than the previous one? This time last year I was a Ph.D. student (duh!)....I had finally solved a tricky data analysis problem and was starting to engage in the next one. I gave my first guest lecture and learned to ride a snowmobile. I also spent a lot of time contemplating what I wanted out of my relationships.

Five snacks you enjoy:
1. Chocolate-dark with nuts (but not almonds)
2. Ice Cream - but only the expensive, rich kind
3. Hazelnut steamers
4. Chai tea
5. Not snacking much these days (you know, a diet), but I have found myself lusting for a big piece of soft pretzel

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics:
When I was in New Zealand a few years ago I set off from Te Anau for a hike along the Kepler Track. 6 hours and as many inches of precipitation later, I was soaked through my rain gear and freezing cold. It was all I could do to will myself to keep walking back towards the hostel and a warm shower. Along that long, cold hike I tried to keep myself optimistic by singing aloud. I discovered that the only songs I knew all the words to were Christmas Carols and 60s folk-pop songs. So, in addition to those genres, ...
1. Bitch - Meredith Brooks
2. Winter - Tori Amos - and most of her songs from Little Earthquakes
3. Maria from Sound of Music - RaftWoman thinks it's hilarious that I know all of this.
4. And so it goes - Billy Joel
5. Goodbye Earl - Dixie Chicks

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
As pointed out by others, can't do anything too wild with just a $1 million. So with several million...
1. Stop job hunting and just plan on volunteering my time for advocacy groups once I finish my PhD
2. Buy some new clothes - I find myself clothes-lusting a lot lately
3. Travel travel travel - Antarctica, South America, Russia, Thailand
4. Visit my far-flung friends
5. Build a wonderful sustainable house on an island somewhere

Five bad habits:
1. Procrastinating
2. Procrastinating
3. Procrastinating
4. Biting my nails
5. Sitting with poor posture

Five things you like doing:
1. blogging
2. walking my dog
3. cuddling with BusinessMan
4. talking with friends
5. spending time on/near water

Five things you would never wear again:
(This one seems pretty lame to me.)
1. black nail polish and black eyeliner as face art- I'm 10 years removed from my goth phase.
2. shoulder pads - generic I know but like I said the category is lame and I did survive the eighties
3. stilleto heels - a recipe for disaster with my clutziness
4. size 4 pants - 'cause hell that was multiple sizes and puberty ago
5. cotton in wet and winter weather - Oregon has cured me of this mistake. As RaftWoman likes to say - "cotton kills." She's got me so well conditioned, when I go out, even my bra and panties aren't cotton.

Five favorite toys:
1. my ipod mini
2. my clock/radio/cd player
3. my sewing machine
4. my blog
5. my brand new teapot

2 comments:

she falters to rise said...

OK, I'll do it (you owe me now;). Give me a day or so...

Prof. Me said...

Did it!