Monday, January 02, 2006

14 applications, 11 states


In case you're curious, here's the geography of my job hunt so far. Green states have schools which have requested letters of recommendation, brown states I've applied to and so far heard nothing, orange states I've lost hope on (2+ months since deadline and no word). Stars show the status of schools in states where I've applied to more than 1 job.

It's actually really interesting to look at the map. You can see that my obvious target area is the northern Midwest, but I am not trying to shun the west coast (just southern California). I'd be happy to apply for jobs in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and NorCal, but I haven't seen any that would be a good fit. On the other hand, I am not aiming for Texas, there just happen to be good jobs there.

5 comments:

post-doc said...

I ended up in a different region than I originally targetted, so I LOVE your map! I'm personally fond of the upper Midwest, but am hoping you can find a great job with amazing people in a good location for you and your husband. Regardless of what state it happens to be in. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your interview process since mine is relatively fresh in my mind. Good luck!!

*statgirl* said...

I LOVE your map.... I have a similar map in my head and I completely understand your categories; however, perhaps there is room for a few more? Soon you could add things like "I got a phone interview!" or "I have a campus invite!"...

phd me said...

What a great map! I want one, too...

ScienceWoman said...

Hopefully the map will be updated if/as I get to later stages in the selection process. For now though, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

sheepish said...

At least you're having fun with it. Best luck!