Sunday, December 04, 2005

self-assessment

I'm about to start working on another round of job applications, and it finally occurred to me that I should go back through all of my transcripts and list out the -ology courses I've taken and how willing I am to teach them. I came up with 12 courses that I would love to teach ranging from the intro class I taught this summer to graduate seminars that exist only in my dreams. Some of them are core courses in any undergraduate major and some are applied science-in-society classes. I can't imagine being asked to teach the whole gamut of them anywhere, because a small department wouldn't have the grad courses and a big one would be more specialized. But it is very reassuring to know that I'd feel relatively comfortable with anything on that list. So I guess I'd should actually get started on those applications then.

1 comment:

Astroprof said...

It is a good idea to take stock of the classes that you can teach. Many of our applicants are pretty specialized. I got my position in part because I had a background in and could teach a wide variety of courses in physics, astronomy, and electronics, as well as experience using the equipment that we use in the labs for all of these things. So, typically, the more varied your experiences then the easier it will be to fit in somewhere.