And then in no particular order:
- best quote: Attributed to Jane Doe as a comment on a paper draft: "The work is in the past, the paper is in the present, and god knows what the future holds." (If you want to know who Jane Doe is, you'll have to email me (science dot woman at hotmail dot com) because it'll give away my -ology.
- # of society award winners: 9, number of females: 2 (one of whom was my undergrad thesis advisor)
- # of new society fellows: 43, number of females: 7 (plus/minus a few where I am too unfamiliar with the name to assign a gender)
- most frequently heard job advice: get a post-doc, preferably someplace prestigious, and get a few publications out, then start hoping
- but don't get too many pubs out because you'll need some of your Ph.D. or postdoc pubs to count towards your tenure quota.
- in your cover letter, mention specific people with who you would envision collaborating