Thursday, December 01, 2005

deep breaths

After the beginning of the week being this huge push to get menial data analysis done, I am now at the stage where no more data will be generated, and I have to figure out how to turn a so-so set of results into a compelling story for my talk.

This is made more complicated by two main facts: (1) I am essentially new to the sub-sub-field and am not finding it easy to make the interpretations or even know what things need to be interpreted, (2) while I can present an observed set of phenomena, we really don't know the mechanisms that create the phenomena. So I'm left with "well, we see this, and then this happens, but we don't really know why, but it could be one (or more) of these 10 things..." Which is fine, but not good. And good would be a really nice impression to make. (sigh)

However, even if I were to get no sleep for the next week, and have a brain transplant, we will not know the mechanism any time soon. So that's just the way it's going to be.

Having re-formed the conclusion that the science is only so-so, the stress is gone. Instead it is replaced with a draining of my energy. Who cares about this talk? Not me. I'd rather go back to polishing my manuscript, writing job apps, sleeping...just about anything.

But giving up isn't an option, so I guess I'll go back to working on the powerpoint.

3 comments:

she falters to rise said...

I just submitted a very descriptive paper that lacks mechanistic explanations for my observations. They are going to crush it, but it's all that I've got, and it couldn't hurt to try...

Good luck:)

ScienceWoman said...

SFTR - it's really really good to know that someone else is in the same boat. thank you

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.