- Rushed through morning routine (shower, breakfast, walk dog, make lunch) to make it to school a whole 10 minutes earlier than usual.
- Booted up laptop, still doesn't work, relinquished it to computer gurus at helpdesk
- Read email, news, chatted with S, hoped for magic phone call from helpdesk with quick fix
- Edited hard-copy good science/bad writing paper for 4th author credit. Helped S start listserv for our brownbag.
- Went to gym with S and swam 500 m.
- Ate lunch and reduced teaching philosophy to single page by removing paragraph on assessment. Delayed plans to do a job app swap with MR. Both of us behind.
- put edits of above paper into Word. (Muttered obscenities about muddled writing, atrocious figures, and inconsistent editing) Ate two oreo cookies. went for 3rd mug of tea.
- 4:30 Called helpdesk. Told computer guy to go ahead and disassemble laptop. Hell, hit it with a hammer. Just back it up first.
- Couldn't face any more word documents. Started Powerpoint to work on seminar I was "invited" to give with less than a week's notice.
- put some pretty pics into powerpoint and decided to blog instead
- wrote crappy blog post and went back to powerpoint
Monday, October 03, 2005
Day in the life
Following the lead (okay, shamelessly copying) a few other women bloggers, I present a special edition of "On being a scientist...". Sort of a quick-fix, just the facts version, sparing me (and you) any pretentious analysis or musings about my life. This is the 6-year old's diary version of my day.