Wednesday, June 15, 2005

holding up my end of the bargain

warning: rant ahead

I was in the field the past two days, and this afternoon at 3 pm and two hours (one site) short of being done with my work, i allotted to skip the last site and drive home (2.5 hours) instead. My dear husband was going to come home and we were going to have a mid-week evening together. We're in month 6 of him being gone for work 4 nights a week. Our evening together this week was particularly important because he is going on vacation next week to visit his parents, leaving early Saturday morning and not returning until late the following Sunday night. I can't afford that long of vacation time right now, and he's using all his, so we won't get another day off together until at least September. So excluding two ships passing in the night, this evening was our one chance to be together in the next three weeks. Now granted he's got a 7:30 am meeting 2 hours from home, but that last field site I skipped can't be put off much longer. And since I didn't get it done today, that means that next week I'll have to drive 2.5 hours , work 2, and drive 2.5 hours home. When you add in dealing with gear on either end, that's a full day of work. So I traded a whole day for an extra 2 hours with him this evening, but he wouldn't trade a 5:30 am wakeup call for an evening with me.

To give him credit, he has offered to come home tomorrow night. But that doesn't help me get my lost time back, and right now I just feel like snubbing him and making plans with a friend instead.

Am I over-reacting?

2 comments:

Writer Chica said...

That sucks. I can totally tell how frustrated you are (couldn't he have called to let you know?) I don't recommend snubbing unless you tell him why and are sure you won't regret it for the next 3 weeks. Maybe a discussion would be useful (especially if this is not an isolated incident) and you could figure out how he can make it up to you. Good luck, take care.

ScienceWoman said...

we couldn't call each other (that's part of the problem with field work). I'm a long way from cell phone range, so we had to rely on our previous plans.